Monday, December 3, 2012

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs

2012 Book 163: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs

Reason for Reading: I was originally going to give it to my dad for Christmas, but it wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be

Review
Jacob has grown up believing that his grandfather's tales of adventure and magical children were a fantasy. However, when Jacob's life is suddenly turned upside down, he must go on a quest to a tiny island off Wales to see the orphanage his grandfather grew up in. There, he discovers that there was some element of truth in his grandfather's stories...and he finds out that his life is in danger. This book was a fantastic idea. Riggs used some unique vintage photographs that he'd borrowed from a few collectors and built a story around the weird images. The photos were fascinating...I really loved looking at them. And I was excited to see what sort of story was built around them. However, the story was a bit contrived. I suppose that it would have to be, given that it's built around some randomly rescued photos...So Riggs deserves some credit for a good eye and a creative idea. His writing was a bit lack-luster...as I said, it was a bit contrived, and it leaned too heavily on formulaic fantasy. Shades of X-men, Groundhog Day, etc. abound. Nothing wrong with using old formulas, of course - no concept is every fully new - but overall the writing just didn't hold its own. I might or might not pick up the next book in the series...we'll see. :) I'll probably read it eventually because I imagine Riggs' writing might improve on the second book, and it will seem less contrived if it's based on plot development instead of photographs. :)

4 comments:

  1. I had been psyched to read this book too, but then I heard mixed things. Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's a bad book to read, I just wasn't particularly impressed. It's short and easy. :)

      Delete
    2. I've been wondering about this book. Thanks for confirming my worst suspicions!

      Delete
    3. Haha, it wasn't THAT bad. It just wasn't great, that's all. :)

      Delete

What do you think? I love getting comments!