Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Stonekeeper, by Kazu Kibuishi

The Stonekeeper (Amulet Book 1), by Kazu Kibuishi

Reason for Reading: Helping my nephew with his book report.

Review
When their father dies, Emily and Navin must move with their mother to a run-down house in the middle of nowhere - an inheritance from a great uncle they've never met. On their first night in the disturbing old house, their mother is  kidnapped by a gigantic squid-thing and the kids must rescue her with the help of a talking amulet that they've found in a dusty room. 

I read this because my nephew really loved it, and he's a very reluctant reader. I can see why he liked it - there's lots of pretty pictures and very few words. It's a book appropriate for middle-graders both in vocabulary and in plot. It was a cute, fast read, and I'm sure I'll read the rest in the series. However, it's not a book that would appeal to me for any other reason than bonding with my nephew. The premise and plot are simply too unsophisticated to be of much interest to most older kids or adults. On the other hand, the book seems to be VERY popular with the younger crowd, and I highly recommend The Stonekeeper for reluctant readers. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I can see why your nephew would enjoy this one as even the cover is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the art is pretty good, too. I'm currently working on the second in the series, and the plot DOES pick up a little.

      Delete
  2. I will actually recommend this one for my nephew as i think that he is about the right age. I think that as I child I would have loved a book like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully your nephew will like it. Apparently it's all the rage right now among middle-schoolers. :) My nephew immediately sat down and read the next few in the series.

      Delete

What do you think? I love getting comments!