Saturday, March 1, 2014

March Update



Well, February was another good month! I watched the Superbowl and went skiing with my nephew - who was the most important young man to give me Valentine's day candy...ok. He was the only young man to give me Valentines. But hey. Someone thought about me!

I wrote a couple of posts about my religious ruminations: Intercessory Prayer - Does it Influence the Divine Opinion?, How Do We Know About Jesus?, and several book reviews: Hunted, by Maggie Stiefvater; The Many-Colored Land, by Julian May; The Pastor's Wife Wears Biker Boots, by Karla Akins; The Drowning Girl, by Caitlin R Kiernan; and Resume Magic, by Susan Britton Whitcomb

As far as my other New Year's Resolutions go, I spent my free-time working on my resume, personal brand, and job applications (yay resolution 3) but left little time for workouts (boo, resolution 2). I decided that I will probably not be able to pull off a Tough Mudder this year if I am to concentrate on more important issues (my career), so I'm slipping back to the more familiar triathlon training goal. :) 


Read and Viewed


My nephew, friend, and I have now completed season 2 of the 2005 Doctor Who. So far, I admit that I like David Tennant the best of all the Doctors I've seen. But I still have a lot of Doctors to go! This season wasn't as philosophical as the first season, but it had better special effects and was more exciting. 
Apparently, my sister and her man didn't realize that my 9-year-old nephew (who plays on a football league) would know what the Superbowl was. Superbowl party plans were made. He was left out. :( So my friend taught me how to knit while we watched the Superbowl with my nephew. Independently, we all chose to cheer for the Seahawks. I, because I think hawks are cooler than Broncos, my friend because she likes blue better than orange, my nephew for unspecified reasons that probably have something to do with who his friends were cheering for. Imagine our delight when the Seahawks totally creamed the Broncos. Additionally, I learned to knit while a 9-year-old explained the rules of American football. :) 
Idiot's Guide to Knitting, project 0.5 - The tiny misshapen washcloth.
This was my project during the Superbowl, and I'm VERY proud of it. Yes, it took me the entire pre-game and game to knit that little scrap. But isn't it pretty? :) I also accidentally learned how to increase from 10 stitches to 13 while knitting this. I'm not sure how I managed that, but I'm told it's a skill I'll need to know for the future. :)


Reviewed here

Reviewed here

Watched this with a friend. It's a modern retelling of Emma, and I'm currently watching a bunch of Emma movies so I can do a comparison. 
Reviewed here

This is a cute little picture book about a vain fish which loves its beautiful rainbow scales more than anything....until it realizes that its own vanity and selfishness has made it the loneliest fish in the sea, even if it WAS the most beautiful. An endearing story about how friendship and giving is more important than outer beauty. 
They say this movie is crazy awesome. They are right.
Cute story about the stretchiest mitten ever knitted. Think my knitting skills will ever compare? Fantastic illustrations!
Classic! I especially love the caterpillar's face after it ate all the junk food. :)







Newly Acquired


Free Friday book for Nook

Brandon Mull is my favorite YA novelist right now. I just pre-ordered the first book in his new series. Can't wait! :)
Loaned to me by a friend. This book was written by one of her professors in college.
Thought this would be an interesting book to read after I made my post about prayer in February.
ARC from Netgalley - really excited to read it!
Book release date 3/24/14
ARC from Netgalley
It was released on 2/4/2014
ARC from Netgalley
Release date 11/18/2013
ARC from Netgalley
Release date 10/17/2013
ARC from bookstore
Release Date 3/4/2014
ARC from work
Release date 2/11/2014
ARC from bookstore
Release date 8/12/2014
ARC from bookstore
Release date 3/4/2014
ARC from bookstore
Release date 1/7/2014
ARC from Netgalley
Published 1/7/2014
Given to me by a friend
My very first study bible


One of the textbooks for The Great Courses set Sacred Texts of the World
I'm afraid I've skipped on to Lesson 25 with this course, so that it fits with my New Testament / Jesus Studies
Suggested reading for The Great Courses set Why Evil Exists
I'm told this is a fantastic book for job searchers. I was hoping to find a book that is "inspirational" so that I can give it as a gift when I'm done with it.
Free Fridays for Nook









8 comments:

  1. I also run. I too and have considered participating in a mud run event but have not done so yet. The place that I often run at comes close to be a mud course on some days!

    Great and eclectic bunch of books that you have recently acquired. I really look forward to your always insightful and interesting commentary on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'll be over there soon to check it out Deb! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. Whew. That looks like quite a busy month there...and I like what you're doing with working on your personal brand. I'm always tweaking mine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. To be honest, I'd not even heard of "personal branding" before this month. I'm still in the process of tweaking. :)

      Delete
  4. Great mailbox! I have Panic in my huge TBR pile!

    Here's my Mailbox

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love getting comments!